VMworld is this week! While I am sad I cannot see many of you in person, I wanted to spend some time to review a few sessions that are rather pertinent for our global cloud providers. I am going to break this out into specific categories. The sessions I list below are not exhaustive in nature as there are over 40+ sessions that are Cloud Provider focused.Continue reading “VMworld 2020 – Top Cloud Provider Sessions”
As we are approaching VMworld 2019 in San Francisco, I wanted to spend some time on what sessions and labs to review when attending VMworld.
The VMware Cloud Provider Program continues to grow exponentially and this year we have over 30 VMworld sessions that are focused on our VMware Cloud Providers. This is extremely exciting as we continue to see more of an emphasis on our great service providers and ensuring all VMware customers are aware of these strategic partnerships.
With that said, I’d like to highlight a few sessions that I believe will be important to watch live or catch the recording at a later time.
First off, our VCPP VMworld catalog is located here: https://my.vmworld.com/widget/vmware/vmworld19us/us19catalog?search.products=15615668180870019stmContinue reading “VMworld 2019 – Checklist for VMware Cloud Providers”
VMware VMworld is always an amazing experience, but taxing for VMware personnel – from meetings, sessions, and nightly events, it can wear one down. However, I truly enjoy seeing everyone and this was my first time speaking at a VMworld, which I’m very grateful for.
I wanted to provide a recap of my two sessions along with sessions all VMware Cloud Providers should watch.
Why vSAN is the Best Solution for Cloud Provider Environments
This was done with my colleague, Greg Kaffenberger, who is part of our Cloud Strategy team. Our intent was to provide a high-level summary of items we’ve learned when collaborating with Providers on vSAN designs and implementations.
One thing I learned from this process of creating a session is it’s VERY difficult to cover everything you want. Moreover, you want to hit the high-level points. Some of the initial feedback we received was our material was too complex. Greg and I did quite a bit of summarization or sticking the detailed points in the speaker notes section.
Anyway, I thought this session went pretty well. Here’s the YouTube video along with the link to the slides for anyone to utilize –
Case Study: Hybrid Cloud with vCloud Extender from Customer to Provider
This was a very exciting session with Raff Poltronieri at CloudItalia on a solution I’ve spent a lot of time with, vCloud Director Extender. We partnered together to review vCD Extender in technical detail along with the architecture. Raff covered CloudItalia’s experience along with a demonstration of one of their customers migrating from their on-prem environment to CloudItalia’s vCD instance. Furthermore, CloudItalia’s business is now growing because of their utilization of vCloud Director Extender.
vCD Extender, vCloud Availability, our new Data Protection solution for vCD, is just the start of these value-added products for vCloud Director. I am very excited to see what comes in the next 9 to 12 months for vCloud Director, especially around our availability, migration, and data protection products for Cloud Providers.
Video and Google drive to the slide deck below –
Other Sessions to Review
These are the other ones I suggest reviewing if you did not catch them live:
- Introducing VMware Cloud Provider Pod
- Delivering Custom Services Through vCloud Director
- There are endless possibilities on providing custom services and integration through vCD. This session reviews some of the use cases we worked on so far.
- VMware Data Protection Simplicity Meets Power: Converged, Cloud and Beyond
- This is covering our new partnership with Dell/EMC on Data Protection capabilities built into vCD.
- Cloud Provider Transformation with vCloud Director, NSX, and vRealize Suite
- John White at Expedient does a great job going through their environment and how they’ve utilized the VMware Cloud Provider architecture to provide services to their tenants.
- Multitenant Managed Service Provider Platform for VMware Cloud Services
- This is reviewing our new MSP solution / Cloud Provider Hub and what’s possible with VMC in regards to Cloud Providers.
There’s many more here – this link should be filtered to sessions that have been marked for Cloud Provider Program.
I truly look forward to the next opportunity to speak and share what I’ve learned on this incredible journey at VMware.
This is a very exciting time for us at VMware, especially in the Cloud Provider Program. I am elated to say there are over 34 sessions that are tied to VMware Cloud Providers at VMworld 2018 – we are only publishing the sessions that are allowed currently…
I believe this is the most we’ve ever had at a VMworld. This signifies the importance of our Cloud Providers to VMware and our channel partners. As many of you have experienced, we are in a significant growth space and these sessions are very important for us to showcase what VMware is delivering around Cloud Providers. Moreover, this is a very important venue for us to present our current and future investments in VCPP.
I was honored when two of my sessions were accepted a few months ago. While it’s a little stressful on ensuring we are creating valuable content for our Cloud Service Providers, I am looking forward to presenting this material at VMworld.
Why VMware vSAN Is the Best Solution for Cloud Provider Environments [HCI1145BU]
The first session I have is with Greg Kaffenberger who is one of my esteemed colleagues inside of the VMware Cloud Provider team. We’ve noticed there’s some confusion around how vSAN works inside of our subscription model. Our goal is to demystify and showcase how vSAN is a sustainable operating model for Cloud Service Providers.
A lot of great content created that will be reviewed in this hour. Unfortunately, I wish we had more time – we’ve had to cut a lot but we will make the best of it!
Case Study: Hybrid Cloud with vCloud Extender from Customer to Provider [HYP1142BU]
I am co-presenting with Raffaelo Poltronieri at CloudItalia and we are stoked about speaking about vCloud Director Extender. While many of you have seen my Extender posts over the past year, we will be talking about some of the best practices and lessons learned with one of our strategic partners. Moreover, I will be discussing the goals going forward for our extensibility solutions – significant investment is going in to ensure we make it easy for our Cloud Providers to provide hybridity between on-prem and vCloud environments.
A few callouts I want to make as these are sessions you should not miss –
- Consuming Cloud Provider SD-WAN Services [BRE3038BU] – this reviews VeloCloud for VCPP and it is very top of mind for many providers. Providing seamless connectivity between sites in a secure, multi-tenant, architecture is critical.
- Delivering Custom Services Through vCloud Director Extensibility [HYP1803BU] – you will continue to see further development in UI Extensibility inside of vCloud Director. Milko and Martin will do a great job discussing what’s possible inside of the new vCD H5 UI.
- Introducing VMware Cloud Provider Pod [HYP1499BU] – I can’t speak much about this right now, but check out what Wade Holmes and Yves Sandfort will be presenting. This is a new initiative and we’d love to get feedback from our Cloud Providers.
Honestly, they are all awesome. I was going to continue to list more, but there’s some valuable content being created by amazing leaders in this organization.
I will be at VMworld Saturday to Thursday – please reach out if ever want to talk about any of our solutions!
See you there,