VMware VMworld is always an amazing experience, but taxing for VMware personnel – from meetings, sessions, and nightly events, it can wear one down. However, I truly enjoy seeing everyone and this was my first time speaking at a VMworld, which I’m very grateful for.
I wanted to provide a recap of my two sessions along with sessions all VMware Cloud Providers should watch.
Why vSAN is the Best Solution for Cloud Provider Environments
This was done with my colleague, Greg Kaffenberger, who is part of our Cloud Strategy team. Our intent was to provide a high-level summary of items we’ve learned when collaborating with Providers on vSAN designs and implementations.
One thing I learned from this process of creating a session is it’s VERY difficult to cover everything you want. Moreover, you want to hit the high-level points. Some of the initial feedback we received was our material was too complex. Greg and I did quite a bit of summarization or sticking the detailed points in the speaker notes section.
Anyway, I thought this session went pretty well. Here’s the YouTube video along with the link to the slides for anyone to utilize –
Case Study: Hybrid Cloud with vCloud Extender from Customer to Provider
This was a very exciting session with Raff Poltronieri at CloudItalia on a solution I’ve spent a lot of time with, vCloud Director Extender. We partnered together to review vCD Extender in technical detail along with the architecture. Raff covered CloudItalia’s experience along with a demonstration of one of their customers migrating from their on-prem environment to CloudItalia’s vCD instance. Furthermore, CloudItalia’s business is now growing because of their utilization of vCloud Director Extender.
vCD Extender, vCloud Availability, our new Data Protection solution for vCD, is just the start of these value-added products for vCloud Director. I am very excited to see what comes in the next 9 to 12 months for vCloud Director, especially around our availability, migration, and data protection products for Cloud Providers.
Video and Google drive to the slide deck below –
Other Sessions to Review
William Lam did a great job of summarizing and providing the ability to download all recorded sessions here.
These are the other ones I suggest reviewing if you did not catch them live:
- Introducing VMware Cloud Provider Pod
- VCPP’s new solution on instantiating a vCD environment, inclusive of all Cloud Provider components. Presented by Yves Sandfort and Wade Holmes.
- Delivering Custom Services Through vCloud Director
- There are endless possibilities on providing custom services and integration through vCD. This session reviews some of the use cases we worked on so far.
- VMware Data Protection Simplicity Meets Power: Converged, Cloud and Beyond
- This is covering our new partnership with Dell/EMC on Data Protection capabilities built into vCD.
- Cloud Provider Transformation with vCloud Director, NSX, and vRealize Suite
- John White at Expedient does a great job going through their environment and how they’ve utilized the VMware Cloud Provider architecture to provide services to their tenants.
- Multitenant Managed Service Provider Platform for VMware Cloud Services
- This is reviewing our new MSP solution / Cloud Provider Hub and what’s possible with VMC in regards to Cloud Providers.
There’s many more here – this link should be filtered to sessions that have been marked for Cloud Provider Program.
I truly look forward to the next opportunity to speak and share what I’ve learned on this incredible journey at VMware.