I just upgraded my current vROps 6.4 instance to 6.6 – didn’t really know what it would take to do this.
Well, I can say this was one of the easiest updates I’ve ever done. I can summarize this in five steps.
- Download the appropriate PAK update file from vmware.com – there’s a few versions you can download. I’m running the vApp, so downloaded that.
- Log into the admin console – so https://<vrops-ui>/admin
- Click on Software Update -> Install a Software Update
- Upload the PAK file – agree to the terms
- Sit back and let it do its thing.
There’s 9 steps during the upgrade process. The admin page will time out during the appliance reboot. Once it comes up, the new GUI is evident.
Once it hits 9 of 9 – click on System Status on the left. You’ll see your applicable nodes and the current state.
I love the new interface, but also the immediate usability of 6.6. On the left side, I can see immediate recommended actions and workload balance.
Just incredible for a “minor” release.