One of my esteemed peers, Eric Stine, has updated our Cloud Provider Program Hands On Lab (HOL).
For those of you that do not know what the VMware HOL is, it’s our free solution that allows you to try out VMware solutions.
Eric and Dan go over NSX, vSAN, vROps, Log Insight, vCD, vCAv, AND Usage Meter! What’s important is Usage Meter is updated to version 3.6 for those of you that wanted to test out the new functionality before upgrading.
Definitely check it out and give it a whirl!
If you are looking for some extremely valuable reference architecture AT NO COST – check out what we published today on VMware’s site –
So why is this so special? The vCAT page is a single entity for all of our vCloud designs posted by our Global Cloud Practice. We break this out by the following categories:
- Cloud Automation and Orchestration
- Cloud Operations and Management
- Network and Security
- Storage and Availability
- Digital Workspace
As you can see in the chart below, we have multiple architecture papers in each of these domains.
Some of my favorites:
- Architecting a vCD Solution by Tomas Fojta – LINK
- Architecting a NSX Solution by Michael Haines and Jeffrey Moore – LINK
- VMware vCenter Use Cases and Architectures by Martin Hoskin – LINK
Honestly, all of them are amazing. Moreover, these are publicly available. If you aren’t reading up on them, you are missing out on some valuable information.
A little about the Global Cloud Practice – they are my peer team here in the Cloud Provider Program and we are working together to support our strategic SP’s. I truly enjoy working with them and quite frankly, learning from them.
Definitely review and engage us to discuss your objectives further!
I recently did a blog on the Management Pack for vCD on vROps – great way of a vCD admin to manage their vCD solution.
VMware just released the vRealize Operation Tenant App for vCloud Director 1.0 – this now allows you to provide tenant access to their org/VDC and provide tenant-level metrics! Very excited about this.
- Tenant Admin specific views to enable Operations Management solving monitoring, troubleshooting and capacity planning use cases
- Provider Admin can pick and choose the tenants to whom access it to be provided
- Photon OS based Virtual appliance (OVA) for easier installation
- HTML5 Client based on VMWare Clarity
Get it here: https://marketplace.vmware.com/vsx/solutions/management-pack-for-vcloud-director
I’ll be updating this post with things I learn about 3.6 as time progresses.
Change IP / Gateway / Hostname / DNS / Proxy Server
- This *could* be done within your standard Linux commands, however, Tomcat is running in the background and does require manipulations also.
- The recommended process is using a bash shell script named “vami_config_net” – this is under /opt/vmware/share/vami/
- Run the script from your console to get the menu:
- Pretty self-explanatory on what it requires after you select a sub-menu.
SSH and Root Logins
- SSHD is not started by default nor can you log in with the root credentials. IF it is required (by VMware Support), this is the process on enabling access.
- To enable root, edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and look for line “PermitRootLogin” – change this from no to yes
- Then start (or restart) the sshd service – “service sshd restart/start”
- NOTE – This should be a TEMPORARY solution if you need to access the shell via root. Follow all security practices when possible!
Root account locked
- Yeah, don’t ask how I did this – but had to figure out the procedure on unlocking the root account.
- Simple instructions here on getting into the bash shell from GRUB – https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2147190
- From there, you’ll need to use the “pam_tally2” command to reset the lock on the root account.
- So… “pam_tally2 –user=root –reset”
- Ensure your path is set if it errors out: “export PATH=”/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin”