I’ll be updating this post with things I learn about 3.6 as time progresses.
Change IP / Gateway / Hostname / DNS / Proxy Server
- This *could* be done within your standard Linux commands, however, Tomcat is running in the background and does require manipulations also.
- The recommended process is using a bash shell script named “vami_config_net” – this is under /opt/vmware/share/vami/
- Run the script from your console to get the menu:
- Pretty self-explanatory on what it requires after you select a sub-menu.
SSH and Root Logins
- SSHD is not started by default nor can you log in with the root credentials. IF it is required (by VMware Support), this is the process on enabling access.
- To enable root, edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and look for line “PermitRootLogin” – change this from no to yes
- Then start (or restart) the sshd service – “service sshd restart/start”
- NOTE – This should be a TEMPORARY solution if you need to access the shell via root. Follow all security practices when possible!
Root account locked
- Yeah, don’t ask how I did this – but had to figure out the procedure on unlocking the root account.
- Simple instructions here on getting into the bash shell from GRUB – https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2147190
- From there, you’ll need to use the “pam_tally2” command to reset the lock on the root account.
- So… “pam_tally2 –user=root –reset”
- Ensure your path is set if it errors out: “export PATH=”/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin”
3 thoughts on “vCloud Usage Meter 3.6 Tips”
Figure out the back end OS with “uname -a”.
Mine is SLE_12_SP2
Add some zypper repositories.
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/monitoring/SLE_12_SP2/server:monitoring.repo
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Base:/System/SLE_12_SP2/Base:System.repo
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/utilities/SLE_12_SP2_Backports/utilities.repo
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/security/SLE_12_SP3/security.repo
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tools/SLE_12_SP2/openSUSE:Tools.repo
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Backports:/SLE-12-SP2/standard/openSUSE:Backports:SLE-12-SP2.repo
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rtp:/test/SLE_12_SP2/home:rtp:test.repo
Now install some stuff.
zypper install nano htop