December 20th Update – this procedure works for upgrades to the newest version of Usage Meter 3.6.1. The migration process remains the same.
With our new release of vCloud Usage Meter 3.6, I have several SP’s requesting the work effort for migrating from 3.5 to 3.6 Usage Meter. I am doing this in my lab environment and showing the steps required for the data migration.
- Usage Meter 3.6 appliance stood up and IP’d – you do not need to point it to your Products (migration tool will take care of that)
- Snapshot BOTH UM appliances
- SSH turned on both 3.5 and 3.6 appliances.
- Timezone is the SAME on both appliances
- Under Manage -> Provider, ensure the Contract, Phone, Partner ID, Contract Number, and Site ID MATCH
- SSH to both appliances as “usgmtr” – NOT root – this is to test to ensure I can log in successfully to both Usage Meter appliances.
- Run “migrateum <hostname-of-UM3.5>” on the new Usage Meter appliance.
- And if you forgot to SSH as the usgmtr account, you’ll get this!! 🙂
- OK, SSH now as usgmtr on the 3.6 appliance – running “migrateum usage35.corp.local”
- IF you met the pre-reqs above, you should get a confirmation screen like this:
- After confirming, you should see the copy operation start. I didn’t have much data on my UM instance, so this was pretty quick.
- Let’s log into the 3.6 instance….
- You’ll get the confirmation page again to accept the terms:
- Accept the certificate for any product (I had vROps pop up):
- vCD was not showing up for me also – I had to check the box “Show inactive” and Activate:
- What’s great is all of my Customers and Rules moved over…
- And previous Report data is there!
Once you verify everything looks good, DON’T FORGET TO REMOVE YOUR SNAPSHOTS!!!
Not a very tough migration – just ensure your 3.6 UM is configured exactly the same way as the 3.5 instance or the migration tool will error out.